New York, New York
Lower Division (New York)
Position: Associate Division Head, Lower Division (Grades 1-2)
Location: New York, NY
Start date: August 2022
Avenues: The World School seeks an Associate Division Head to join the Lower Division leadership team in our New York campus. The Avenues Lower Division provides each child with the social and academic skills needed to interact and explore the world as a confident and effective learner. In the Lower Division (grades 1-5), our teachers implement hands-on, experiential activities to enable students to acquire essential skills, engage in creative thinking, broaden knowledge, and deepen understanding. Language immersion is a critical part of the curriculum. The Associate Division Head is the leader responsible for realizing this vision in two grade levels of the division, ensuring that those grades are an extraordinarily engaging place to work, a laboratory of deeper learning for all, and a thriving community.
Avenues is on a mission: changing the world through education. This is more than a platitude for us. With interconnected campuses under development in leading cities around the world, Avenues is uniquely positioned to develop world-wise leaders equipped to face and solve the future's complex global challenges.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
As Associate Division Head, you will:
- Drive deep student learning, by guiding teachers to develop and teach high-quality curriculum, engage all students in challenging, meaningful work, and address individual student needs
- Build a thriving culture of commitment to excellence, collaboration, and constant learningamong colleagues, students and families
- Be an inspiring role model to students and faculty,nurturing positive relationships and providing support and care for all students.
- Lead a team of talented faculty to accomplish great things with their students, and coach teachers to continually improve by giving regular, useful feedback
- Be an exemplary lead learner, always reflecting, growing and seeking to improve
- Enthusiastically take on the innumerable responsibilities and challenges that come with leading and innovating in a top-tier school
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You bring all or most of the following:
- Superb ability as a teacher,with a deep understanding of high-quality instruction in grades K-3; expertise in literacy and/or immersion education highly preferred
- Instructional leadership skills
to guide teachers - and teacher teams - to grow in teaching practice and create deeper learning for students
- Experience developing curriculum that achieves ambitious learning outcomes
- Management ability, to lead teams in which teachers are engaged in their work, constantly growing and accomplishing great things together
- A missionary zeal for transforming education, and for changing the world through it
- An innovative, problem-solving approach,including in ambiguous situations that require figuring out new solutions rather than following established paths
- Skillful at workingacross lines of differencein a multi-cultural team
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.