New York, New York
Upper Division (New York)
Position: Learning Specialist, Grades 6-8, Upper Division
Location: New York, NY
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a trulyglobal education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. Teachers plan in both disciplinary and interdisciplinary learning in teams. Teachers meet regularly to discuss students and strategize for their success together.
Avenues: The World School seeks a learning specialist to join the New York campus. You will be responsible for ensuring that all students' under your care are effectively supported so that they can thrive at Avenues. You will work closely with a talented student success team that includes learning specialists, deans, mental health professionals, as well as with the broader teaching and learning team, faculty and division leaders.
As a member of Student Success Team (SST), you will:
- Provide a safe, stimulating and supportive learning environment for all students to thrive and feel known and cared for;
- Drive student success across grades 6-8, by helping to develop individualized learning plans for students who need them, to support each student to learn through meaningful, engaging work and to contribute to creating strategies for supporting specific needs that are identified as being common to a larger group of students;
- Maintain anecdotal records that yield useful data for teachers, SST team, families, and outside resources to support students;
- Meet with and assess individual students, confer with parents and refer to outside professionals when necessary;
- Follow up with outside professionalsand coordinate support for students with the SST team, teachers and deans;
- Lead professional learningfor faculty on evidence based practices for differentiating instruction
- Be an effective communicatorusing data and objective measures when talking to faculty and parents;
- Be an exemplary learner,always reflecting, growing and seeking to improve.
- Be a supportive and collaborative team member
WHAT YOU BRING
- A successful track record as a learning specialist with experience working with students in grades 6-8;
- Deep understanding of cognitive development from adolescents to young adults;
- Expertise in analyzing assessments and/or student observations to determine appropriate supports;
- Sense of deep personal responsibility for the success of students and teachers;
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together;
- Intellectual curiosity and the humility to reflect on, and continually grow in, your teaching practice;
- Commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion;
- Eager to embrace change and consider new perspectives
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter with your application explaining how you meet the criteria.DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.