New York, New York
Upper Division (New York)
Position: Mathematics Teaching Fellow
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: August 2021
Why Teach at Avenues?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to some of the world’s leading cities in coming years. Teaching and learning through challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
Math at Avenues
Avenues' discussion- and problem-based approach to mathematics
discussion- and problem-based approach to mathematicsemphasizes collaboration and communication, encouraging students to take active ownership of their learning. Over time, students come to develop both the practical application of mathematical thinking and appreciate the beauty of mathematics as a source of reasoning.
Mathematics Teaching Fellow Program
The Mathematics Teaching Fellow Program prepares recent college graduates with mathematics degrees and a keen interest in teaching to develop into impactful and successful problem-based mathematics teachers in middle and upper grades. In the program, fellows participate in an ongoing learning seminar; co-teach and collaborate closely with a dedicated mentor teacher; and increase their teaching responsibilities over time. This powerful combination of experiences accelerates fellows' development and prepares them to thrive as mathematics educators within or beyond Avenues' growing global community.
As a first-year mathematics teaching fellow, you will:
- Engage in intensive, regular professional development activities during the summer and throughout the school year, such as the biweekly teaching fellow seminar
- Observe and co-teach two middle or upper grade math courses with your mentor teacher
- Meet frequently with your mentor, fellowship leader and campus leaders to reflect on your and your students' progress, learning and goals
- Frequently observe and reflect on other teachers' classes
- Facilitate Math Lab, provide tutoring, and/or take on other duties that enrich and contribute to the campus (and your professional growth)
- Enthusiastically seek opportunities to learn and to contribute to an innovative school environment
What You'll Bring
- Deep content knowledge, with a bachelor's degree or equivalent study in mathematics
- Dedication to developing the craft of teaching, particularly to teaching mathematics through a problem-solving approach
- Intellectual curiosity and humility, to reflect, welcome feedback, and grow in teaching practice
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
What We Offer
- An intentionally designed program, equivalent to a high-quality master's degree, that prepares you to thrive for years as a problem-based mathematics teacher
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple Avenues campuses
- Competitive salary and benefits including health, vision and dental insurance, 401k contribution, and more.
Diversity, Inclusion and Safeguarding
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.