Primary Division (Shenzhen)
Position: Math Coach, Lower Grades(grades 1-5, ages 6-10)
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: ASAP
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school, already operating in New York and Sao Paulo and offering a trulyglobal education, will open in Shenzhen in August 2019 and expand to more leading global cities in coming years. Teaching and learning through language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology. Brilliant colleagues, with diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled opportunities for learning and career growth. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything wedo. Teacher teams collaborate to nurture their students' social, emotional and academic growth. Teachers share responsibility for curriculum and plan together daily. This intense collaboration is exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
Avenues students will graduate fluent in a second languageand at ease beyond their borders. To this end, children in Avenues Shenzhen alternate between learning in English and in Mandarin Chinese.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Instruction and Collaboration:
- Designs and adapts curriculumin order to engage all learners in meaningful real world problem solving that requires critical thinking skills. Ensures consistent delivery of curriculum and high quality instruction throughout each grade in both the Chinese and Target Language classrooms，and to ensure vertical alignment of curriculum up through the grades.
- Provides Professional Development during grade level meetings, after school workshops, and teacher PD weeks to ensure thorough understanding of curriculum, best teaching practices, and the use of developmentally appropriate strategies that account for different learning styles.
- Coaches teachers inside and outside the classroom and provides ongoing feedback to ensure teacher growth.
- Understands the role of assessment to inform instruction and monitor student growth. Ensures that 90% of students are on track to mastering key essential learning outcomes for grade level. For students not on track to meeting benchmarks, math specialists meet with students’ teachers to create a learning plan.
- Lead differentiated student groups to monitor student growth and meet students’ special needs.
- Support the development of applied mathematics curriculum to engage all learners in authentic and meaningful problem solving that require interdisciplinary skills.
- Vigorously upholds a culture of welcome, safety and respect for all members of the community.
- Cares about and connects deeply with faculty, knows each one as an individual.
- Provides teachers with resources for parents and runs parent information sessions
WHAT YOU BRING
3-5 years teaching experience, 2+ years curriculum design and teacher training experience.
- Strong math content knowledge of China and international math curriculum. Deep understanding of the enlightening development of primary mathematics
- Rich teacher coaching experience which promotes teacher growth in mathematical instruction.
- Passion for math and proven expertise developing deep mathematical understanding in all students.
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Professional fluency in English or Chinese; if Chinese fluent, proficient in English
- Bachelor’s degree; relevant graduate degree highly preferred.
WHAT YOU RECEIVE
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities, like a well-defined career pathway and chances to teach abroad
- The thrill of a start-up, in an organization with a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- The chance to impact education by demonstrating what's possible
- Competitive compensation and greater rewards for growing your impact
- A beautiful and uplifting school environment
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.