Primary Division (Shenzhen)
Position: Library Teacher, Primary Division (Grades T-5)
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: August 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World Schoolprepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
In 2018, we launched our Shenzhen campus, bringing our popular early childhood program from New York to China’s southern hub of innovation. Today, we are thrilled to have expanded our campus to serve students from two to 18 years of age.
Our Primary Division provides a transformative academic program to engage young minds and promote creative thinking--in two languages. During grades 1-5, students cultivate independent thinking and deepen their understanding of what it means to be a member of a community, through a curricular emphasis on: language immersion in Mandarin and English; inquiry-oriented learning, from the self to the world; and interdisciplinary, creativity-enhancing projects.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
At Avenues, the library is a magical place where children are surrounded by wonderful stories and literature, and develop a lifelong love of reading. The library teacher makes the Avenues Shenzhen library into that place, building our collection of high-quality Chinese and English books and resources, and ensuring that every child is deeply engaged in the joys of reading. You will also:
- Develop and teach a highly engaging, age-appropriate library curriculum for young children in Chinese and English
- Work closely with classroom teachers to support every child's literacy development in Chinese and English
- Provide expert instruction and programming as guided by Avenues Library’s Information Literacy Scope and Sequence
- Carefully select materials adhering to the criteria and guidelines established by the American Library Association
- Identify current and emerging information resources, both print and digital, to support and enhance information literacy education
- Support all students’ maturation and development, targeting support to address individual needs
- Build a warm, supportive, respectful learning atmosphere
- Collaborate intensively and daily with colleagues to continually improve student learning and school culture
- Provide ongoing professional learning on library media resources and programming to teachers and staff
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
- Participate actively in ongoing, intensive professional learning
WHAT YOU BRING
- Highly knowledgeable about literature for young children in Chinese and English
- Effective literacy instruction; experience as a reading teacher in primary grades strongly preferred
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing children's wellbeing
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Dedication to learning, reflecting and developing the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree in education or related field is ideal, library media certification preferred
- Proficiency in English
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. In addition, we like you to submit a lesson plan you've already created. Directions are included in the application questions. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.