Secondary Division (Shenzhen)
Position: Intern Teacher, Chinese Studies, Secondary Division (Grades 6-9)
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: Jan 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
In 2018, we launched our Shenzhen campus, bringing our popular early childhood program from New York to China’s southern hub of innovation. Today, we are thrilled to have expanded our campus to serve students from two to 18 years of age.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Support teachers to teach Chinese Studies lessons and manage classroom, aligned with Avenues expectations and approach
- Collaborate intensively with Chinese Studies teachers to monitor students’ growth towards learning outcomes, and thoughtfully address individual student needs
- Deeply connect with students and colleagues to uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
WHAT YOU BRING
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing students’ wellbeing
- Enthusiasm for working with middle grade students
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Dedication to learning, reflecting and developing the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Bachelor’s degree candidate; degree in education, Chinese or social studies is ideal
- Native Chinese speaker with professional fluency in English
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.