San Jose, California
Position: Director of Community Engagement
Location: San Jose, CA
Start Date: Summer 2023
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Silicon Valley
Prior to our full nursery through high school campus opening in 2023, Avenues will open its doors to students in the upper division at our Silicon Valley campusin San Jose for the 2022 academic year, serving students from 6th through 9th grade.As the newest campus of Avenues, Avenues Silicon Valley will be the first global school in the Bay Area, providing students with transformative, world-focused learning experiences in a state-of-the-art educational facility.
Avenues: The World Schoolseeks a Director of Community Engagement to join the team at our Silicon Valley campus. Community engagement at Avenues is the manifestation of a “new school of thought” in action by combining learning goals and community service in order to enhance both student growth and the common good. While pursuing learning outcomes such as empathy, planning, and service, articulated in our mission and in the Avenues World Elements, students partner with the community of adults and peers that surround them in order to help share our prosperity beyond the walls of our campus. By sharing time, talents, and discoveries, our community members will learn to serve with humility and confidence. Through service, our students will learn to meaningfully engage with and impact the world around them and in so doing, gain a deeper understanding of themselves, their communities, and societies. Community engagement at Avenues is guided by four pillars:
- Student-led innovation
- Educational access
- Early literacy
- Environmental sustainability
Typically, service is incorporated into projects that have both learning and community action goals. This gives students opportunities to learn in authentic contexts and develop skills of community engagement while affording community partners opportunities to address significant needs. At Avenues, we prioritize working on global-scale problems.
Who Are You?
- You have a passion for and strong experience designing and leading service learning programs
- You’re excited by the prospect of rapid innovation and iteration
- You’re able to see and consider things from multiple perspectives
- You’re a great listener who inspires trust, and who builds and maintains relationships across lines of difference
- You possess remarkable entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- You have a passion for working with young people as they learn, struggle, and grow
What You Will Do
This role ensures that Avenues Silicon Valley has a vibrant community engagement program that is aligned with a clear vision for student-led service learning and results in meaningful and mutually beneficial engagement with the community that surrounds them as well as contributing to a global society. As Director of Community Engagement, you will:
- Develop an implementation plan for community engagement, including objectives, desired outcomes, initiatives and success measures; build alignment around this plan with campus leadership, teachers, and parents.
- Guide and support teachers and students in designing meaningful service learning programs and community engagement activities that are aligned to what is learned in the classroom
- Build and maintain strong, trust-based relationshipsin the local community around Avenues Silicon Valley campus
- Develop strong partnershipswith local non-profit and community organizations through a range of joint activities, ensuring that those relationships are sustainable and mutually beneficial
- Ensure Avenues keeps up a reputation as a good citizen in our community
- Teach / co-teach classesthat further student learning and initiatives for community engagement (e.g., social innovation), as needed
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up and a green field to build things from scratch, all within an organization with global resources and supports, and a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
- Experience building relationships inside and outside of an organization, including through political dynamics and across lines of difference
- Strong organization skills, to manage multiple projects with excellent follow-through and attention to detail
- Experience using technology as a tool to communicate and collaborate with colleagues and enhance instruction; proficiency with delivering instruction via multiple platforms required (Examples: Google Suite, Apple operating systems, SMART technologies)
- Graduate degree in education, teaching or a related field preferred
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website, www.avenues.org. Please include a thoughtful cover letter in your application.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.