San Jose, California
Position: Director of Security
Location: San Jose, CA
Start Date: July 2022
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining a global curriculum based on language immersion and interdisciplinary learning with a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
Avenues Silicon Valley
Avenues plans to open its Silicon Valley campus in San Jose for the 2023 academic year, serving students from nursery through 9th grade. As the newest campus of Avenues, Avenues Silicon Valley will be the first global school in the Bay Area, providing students with transformative, world-focused learning experiences in a state-of-the-art educational facility.
The director of security is directly responsible for ensuring a safe learning atmosphere for students, faculty and parents by managing the security, fire safety and emergency preparedness of the school. The director will build trusting relationships with our families and staff, lead a team to ensure our school spaces are safe for all members of our community, develop and implement thoughtful safety procedures, and strategize how to continuously improve our safety and security practices.
Who Are You?
- Your are known for being deeply and continuously collaborative; you are skilled in communicating clearly and with kindness to a variety of stakeholders, and you prioritize building strong relationships
- You have experience in creating cultures of safety and setting up procedures and routines to create a secure and thriving environment; these workplace cultures have been welcoming to all stakeholders and across lines of difference
- You have a keen understanding of the unique risks facing school communities and knowledge of proven practices to improve safety
- No matter the resources available, you hold yourselves and others to high standards, consistently delivering high quality results and doing whatever is required to get the job done
- You have experience building and leading highly effective and highly engaged teams
- You bring an analytical, problem-solving approach, including in ambiguous situations that require figuring out new solutions rather than taking predetermined paths to success
- You reflect and embody a unique perspective, identity and/or set of experiences and appreciate the same in others, working effectively across lines of difference
- Our mission energizes and inspires you
What Will You Do?
- Develop and reinforce a welcoming culture that prioritizes safety
- Build and nurture a culture of safety that is relentlessly focused on high quality service, welcoming families, students and teachers onto the campus, and improving the experience of all stakeholders while present on campus
- Work with director of operations and administration to build a culture where all members of the campus team are involved in actively managing risk; lead risk management efforts focused particularly on safety and security
- Develop and maintain deep level of trust between security staff, families and family security teams
- Guarantee smoothly functioning school safety systems
- Develop comprehensive safety procedures and ensure they’re understood by all members of the school community
- Ensure all school spaces are fully compliant with safety requirements at the beginning of the school year; maintain safety operations and compliance throughout the school year
- Develop guidance for school leaders on how to maintain safety and security throughout our school spaces and ensure security personnel are equipped to provide them with ongoing support
- Proactively identify areas for improvement to security precautions and resource solutions appropriately
- Plan for campus-wide response in cases of emergency and own emergency management overall
- Develop plans for emergency response in a myriad of situations
- Ensure campus readiness for all emergency situations; effectively lead
- Manage security team
- Ensure that security personnel effectively ensure a welcoming, safe and secure environment for all members of our community
- Identify and hire a top-quality security team who partner with school staff and faculty to achieve our safety goals
- If security staffing is outsourced, manage security vendor and personnel to ensure highest quality services and integrate with the culture of Avenues
What We Offer
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple campuses around the world
- The thrill of a start-up and a green field to build things from scratch, all within an organization with global resources and supports, and a proven track record of results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
15+ years of professional experience in the security field and/or law enforcement, with increasing responsibility over time
- In-depth understanding of school security risks and best practices
- Experience hiring and managing security teams that deliver exceptional service to clients
- Ability to lead effectively through relationships, persuasion and influence
- Track record of developing strategies to meet goals and executing on that strategy; great planner with excellent follow through
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Thrives in collaborative environment
- Rolls up sleeves to get the job done and gets the right work done even amidst ambiguity
- Sense of deep personal responsibility for the organization's success
- Passion for education and deep experience in schools
- Fluent in Spanish or Mandarin a plus
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website, www.avenues.org. Please include a thoughtful cover letter in your application.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.