New York, New York
Upper Division (New York)
Location: Avenues New York
Start Date: Summer 2022
ABOUT AVENUES: THE WORLD SCHOOL
Avenues is on a mission to change the world through education. Founded in 2010 with the vision of becoming one school with many campuses, Avenues now has physical campuses in New York, São Paulo, Shenzhen, Silicon Valley, a virtual campus called Avenues Online, and new campuses in development. Together, these campuses form one transformative, interconnected learning community preparing students to become engaged global citizens and worldwise leaders.
ABOUT CAMPUS FLEX AT AVENUES NEW YORK
Campus Flex is a new enrollment opportunity at Avenues New York. With core academics delivered virtually by world-class educators through Avenues Online, the Campus Flex enrollment option enables students to seamlessly move between learning remotely or in person at the Global Learning Lab, a newly introduced collective gathering and work space located on our Avenues New York campus. Students enrolled in this opportunity connect with a global network of Avenues peers and educators, have access to a focused and collaborative learning environment on the New York campus, and can engage in select campus programming and experiences to complement their online academic studies.
In the Global Learning Lab, students work in close partnership with Campus Flex faculty to receive academic coaching, build schedules that suit their academic needs and co-design transformative learning experiences.
As a Lead Teacher of Avenues New York’s Flex program, you will help launch a new model of secondary education. The Lead Teacher serves as a trusted advisor and expert learning coach for Campus Flex students and their peers accessing the Global Learning Lab. The Lead Teacher works closely with Avenues New York and Avenues Online faculty to ensure a smooth experience for students and families enrolled in Campus Flex.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Develop an environment that fosters student belonging, wellbeing, and social-emotional learning
- Build meaningful, positive, and individual relationships with students in the Campus Flex and Global Flex programs
- Support and counsel students through academic, emotional, and social challenges or concerns. Coordinate with Student Success Team to support students’ academic and wellbeing needs.
- Develop students’ metacognitive and executive functioning skills and understanding of how they learn.
- Lead cohort meetings, advisories and community-building activities.
- Collaborate with Avenues New York and Avenues Online leadership teams
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders, partners, and key staff across Avenues New York and Avenues Online campus leadership teams.
- Provide support for families and students.
- Navigate competing, strong opinions across relevant groups of stakeholders.
- Provide academic coaching
- Provide in-person coaching and feedback on students’ core academic coursework
- Facilitate project-based work and peer collaboration
- Collaborate with AON faculty (who teach core academic subjects) to support student learning and coursework while they are on site
- Supervise and coordinate students’ daily experience in the Global Learning Lab
- Ensure smooth day-to-day operations of the Global Learning Lab
- Develop and assist in implementation of the supervision of spaces, daily arrival and dismissal routines, health and safety procedures, ordering and supplies and other logistical items.
- Support with the organization of operational systems using Avenues campus resources.
WHAT YOU BRING
- 5+ years of experience working with adolescents.
- Extraordinary ability to build relationships with middle and high school students and their families.
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing children's wellbeing.
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together.
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning.
- Highly organized and efficient in managing varying work streams.
- Experience using technology as a tool to communicate and collaborate with colleagues and enhance instruction; proficiency with delivering instruction via multiple platforms required (Examples: Google Suite, Apple operating systems, etc.).
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.