New York, New York
Early Learning Center (New York)
Position: Head Teacher - (English)
Location: New York, NY
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a trulyglobal education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. Teams of English and Spanish or Chinese teachers share two classes of students, collaborating to nurture their students' social, emotional and academic growth. Teacher teams share responsibility for the curriculum and plan together daily. This intense collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
Avenues students will graduatefluent in a second languageand at ease beyond their borders. To this end, in all grades N-5 students alternate their days between English and Spanish or English and Chinese classrooms.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Develop and teach curriculum across multiple subjects that engages all learners in meaningful, challenging work that cultivates 21st-century skills
- Ensure that all students achieve key learning outcomes for the grade level, targeting instruction thoughtfully to address individual needs
- Build a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Collaborate intensively and daily with colleagues to continually improve student learning and school culture
- Deeply connect with students and vigorously uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
WHAT YOU BRING
- At least 5 years of teaching experience with early elementary students, strong classroom management skills and expertise in differentiating instruction
- Strong understanding of teaching through a balanced literacy approach
- Experience with a problem-solving and discussion-based mathematics approach
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace change, growth and learning
- Graduate degree in education, teaching or a related field
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website, www.avenues.org. Please include a thoughtful cover letter in your application.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.