New York, New York
Lower Division (New York)
Position: Spanish Associate Teacher, Lower Division
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: August 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues: The World Schoolis a top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to some of the world’s leading cities in the next few years. Teaching and learning happens through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity and collaboration, along with state-of-the-art technology, pervade the school. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, create a unique educational experience together.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. Teams of English and Spanish or Chinese teachers share two classes of students, collaborating to nurture their students' social, emotional and academic growth. Teacher teams share responsibility for the curriculum and plan together daily. This intense collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
Avenues students will graduate fluent in a second languageand at ease beyond their borders. To this end, in the younger grades, students alternate days between English and Spanish or Chinese classrooms.
- Support lead teachers to develop and teach engaging, creative curriculum and lessons, aligned with Avenues expectations and approach
- Lead guided reading groups and support all aspects of balanced literacy instruction
- Collaborate closely with a team of Spanish teachers responsible for two classes of students
- Participate actively in ongoing professional learning
- Student teaching or equivalent experience with children in grades 1-3
- Full professional fluency in Spanish
- Solid understanding of balanced literacy approach
- Deep dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Superb ability to collaborate with colleagues to achieve goals
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter with your application explaining how you meet the criteria.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.