New York, New York
Upper Division (New York)
Position: Math Teacher, Upper Division (Grades 6-7)
Location: New York, NY
Start: August 2021
Why Teach at Avenues?
There is no place quite like Avenues. We are a top-tier school in New York City that offers a trulyglobal education, one that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Our faculty bring widely diverse experiences, but we are all committed to creating a unique educational experience together. We foster a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and deep collaboration. We teach and learn through challenging interdisciplinary projects. And we offer unparalleled possibilities for professional learning prospects around the globe.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration isn't a buzzword here--it's woven into everything we do. We have built substantial time to collaborate into our schedule. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
Math teachers at Avenues ensure that students act as mathematicians every day. In grades 6 and 7, we foster a love for mathematics through inquiry-based activities and projects as well as collaborative problem sets. In grade 8, Avenues embraces a problem-based mathematics pedagogy and curriculum. Math is learned through student-centered discussion in which students share ideas, present solutions, reflect on mistakes, and master mathematical concepts through working out problems together. Teachers facilitate discourse in class to guide and inspire students to develop deeper understanding of mathematics, while at the same time empowering them to be their own mathematical voice.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes and target instruction to address individual student needs
- collaboratively plan units and projects using a backwards design approach
- co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our values of welcome, safety, and respect
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence among families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network
What You’ll Bring
Math teachers at Avenues bring all or most of the following:
- several years of math teaching experience and a track record of student learning
- strong content knowledge, with a bachelor's or equivalent study in mathematics
- experience with problem-based pedagogy and curriculum
- proficiency in backwards planning and lesson design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- intellectual curiosity and the humility to reflect on, and continually grow in, your teaching practice
- commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- a strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter with your application explaining how you meet the criteria.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.