New York, New York
Early Learning Center (New York)
Position: Assistant Teacher (Part Time), Small World: A Learning Program for Two-Year-Olds (English)
Location: New York, NY
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a trulyglobal education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION, CONSTANT EVOLUTION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. Teams of English, Spanish, and Chinese teachers work together in one classroom, collaborating to nurture their students' social, emotional and academic growth. Teacher teams share responsibility for the curriculum and plan together daily. This intense collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
Avenues students will graduate fluent in a second language and at ease beyond their borders. To this end, Small World students are introduced to new languages in a trilingual (English, Spanish, Chinese) classroom environment.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Assist in developing and teaching curriculum across multiple subjects in a trilingual classroom that engages all learners in meaningful, age-appropriate play that cultivates 21st-century skills
- Ensure that all students achieve key learning outcomes that are developmentally appropriate, targeting instruction thoughtfully to address individual needs
- Build a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Collaborate closely with a team of Spanish and Chinese teachers responsible for multiple classes of students to continually improve student learning and school culture
- Deeply connect with students and vigorously uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families through relationship building, which includes strong spoken and written communication.
WHAT YOU BRING
- At least 3 years of teaching experience with students aged 2-3, strong classroom management skills and expertise in differentiating instruction
- Experience with play-based, developmentally appropriate and experiential curriculum
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply and contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace change, growth and learning
- Comfort with using technology as a tool to communicate and collaborate with colleagues and enhance instruction
- Bachelor’s degree required; Graduate degree or working to obtain a graduate degree in education, teaching or a related field
This position is part-time in the mornings with weekly afternoon meetings and occasional full-day professional development days.
Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Avenues is committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.