New York, New York
Position: Athletic Trainer
Location:New York, NY
Why work in the Avenues Athletics Department?
A part of Avenues: The World School, the Avenues Athletics Department is a group of committed coaches who develop, plan and implement our growing sports curriculum. We pride ourselves in creating programs within each sport discipline, where Middle and Upper School grade work closely together to ensure we cover the necessary skills and fulfill the needs of our student athletes.
Athletic Trainer Position:
The Certified Athletic Trainer is responsible for coordinating and administering sports medicine services for all Avenues Upper Division in-season student athletes. Services may include prevention, evaluation, management, treatment, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries, and should follow industry best-practices. The athletic trainer works closely with all members of the Avenues Athletic Department, school deans, school nurses, and the Student Success Team to provide exceptional comprehensive care. They will provide quality education for coaching staff and student athletes in the reduction of injury risk and increase in the quality of athletic movement. Additionally, the athletic trainer will coordinate care with other health care professionals, parents, and student athletes when needed
What You’ll Do
The Athletic Trainer is responsible for the following (not limited to):
- Injury Risk Reduction and Management:
- Administer ImPACT Baseline Concussion Test to all required athletes prior to the first competition of each season.
- Provide appropriate coverage of contact home sporting events and assist in securing additional coverage when multiple events occur simultaneously
- Ensure accessibility of injury care hours for in-season student-athletes
- Manage and keep up-to-date, HIPAA compliant, and detailed Electronic Medical Records in our database, ‘Healthy Roster’
- Athlete/Coach Education:
- Work cohesively with the Avenues coaching staff to ensure safety of warm ups, drills, equipment, competitive play, and demands put forth on the student-athletes
- Provide opportunities for student-athletes to learn prevalent information in regards to athlete wellness
- Provide/guide professional development with and for coaches on injury risk reduction and best practices for training athletes safely and correctly
- Oversees the strength and conditioning program for cohesiveness of injury reduction practices
- Provides and updates the playbook for the coaches and athletes
- Supply Maintenance/Operations:
- Perform routine Athletic Training supply inventory checks and order in timely manner
- Maintain a clean and appropriate athletic training room that provides a safe, welcome, and respected space for all persons
- Provide access to proper hydration, medical supplies, and training equipment to the athletic department
- Ensure all teams have the safety equipment that they need to run a successful practice or game
Competencies and Experience Required:
- Graduate from an accredited professional athletic training education program, passed the Board of Certification for the Athletic Trainer (BOC-ATC) national exam
- Maintains current CPR/First Aid Certification for Healthcare Providers,
2+ years of experience
- Athletic Training Competencies: Adhere to the Scope of Practice Standards of an Athletic Trainer as outlined by the Board of Certification. Maintain National Athletic Trainers’ Association(NATA) membership, Continuing Education requirements, Professional Liability Insurance, and Certification of CPR/AED as well as ATC. Attend conferences, workshops, and online classes to remain current with the industry best-practices and new advancements in the field.
- Expertise in Athletic Training:
Passionate and interested in sports and athletic endeavors. Ability to perform duties in high stress situations. Excellent evaluation and quick decision making skills to assess the severity of an injury. Evaluate various factors that may have led to each injury and accurately identify pain and root causes to implement and/or recommend optimal treatment strategies. In addition, excellent evaluation skills are necessary during the rehabilitation process to monitor how the injury is responding and progress appropriately.
- Resourceful and Adaptive: Able to adjust quickly and effectively when changes to the athletic schedule are made. Understands how to apply new techniques or practices as it applies to the Avenues athlete population. Searches for and obtains resources that prove to be helpful in the management/prevention of sports injuries.
- Proficient in Technology: Having the technological skills necessary to perform data entry, manage reports and activities across numerous platforms is mandatory for this position. This person needs to have a thorough understanding of computer software, browsers, and operating systems in order to perform the job
- Effective Communication and Collaboration Skills:
Ability to handle incoming correspondence from parents, vendors, opponents, suppliers, or partners in a timely and professional manner. A friendly and positive attitude with ability to communicate clearly and timely manner. Works collaboratively to help solve problems that enhance the effectiveness of the Athletics Department.
- Maintains and Builds Relationships:
Develops and maintains a positive and constructive working alliance with all stakeholders. Contributes positively to the team (Avenues and the athletics department) and promotes cooperation and commitment to achieve goals. Motivate and provide positive guidance to our student athletes by following our school and athletic mission. Maintain a strong, trust-based relationships with leaders, coaches, faculty, students, staff and parents. 90% of staff and parents report that they can count on this person to help them solve a problem.
Please note that holding necessary certification is essential to apply for this position. Those who meet that criteria are those eligible to proceed to the first round. Please ensure this is reflected in your application for consideration.
Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.