New York, New York
Upper Division (New York)
Position: Instrumental Music Teacher, Grades 6 and 7
Location: New York, New York
Start Date: August 2021
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
There is no place quite like Avenues. We are a top-tier school in New York City that offers a trulyglobal education, one that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Our faculty bring widely diverse experiences, but we are all committed to creating a unique educational experience together. We foster a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and deep collaboration. We teach and learn through challenging interdisciplinary projects. And we offer unparalleled possibilities for professional learning prospects around the globe.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration isn't a buzzword here--it's woven into everything we do. We have built substantial time to collaborate into our schedule. Teacher teams across multiple disciplines design learning experiences for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Avenues music program inspires our students to grow deeply as musicians and appreciators of music. We envision our students uplifted, connected and inspired by their experiences of deliberate practice, rehearsing and creating music together, and performing frequently in public. Our students bring diverse musical experiences, from significant individual study to no experience at all; in our program, all are welcome. You will also:
- Ensure that students grow dramatically in passion, understanding and skill in music performance
- Grow the music program over time, working closely with division leaders and other Avenues arts teachers
- Build a learning atmosphere that leads students to feel part of a rigorous but joyful learning community
- Collaborate intensively with colleagues to make interdisciplinary connections that deepen student learning
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
WHAT YOU BRING
- At least 3 years of experience teaching music to adolescents, with clear evidence of students' musical growth and development
- Working knowledge of String, Wind and Brass instruments and some piano and guitar skills.
- Some experience teaching General Music
- Deep knowledge of, and an infectious passion for, a range of musical styles and traditions
- Comfort with arranging music for student ensembles of diverse instrumentation and ability levels
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing children's wellbeing
- Highly developed classroom management, organizational, and planning skills with the ability to adapt in the moment
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree in education or related field is ideal
- Professional fluency in English.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.