New York, New York
Lower Division (New York)
Position: Head Teacher - Grades 1-5
Position: Head Teacher - Grades 1-5
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: Fall 2022
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a trulyglobal education, that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Teaching and learning through dual language immersion and challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
DEEP COLLABORATION THROUGH LANGUAGE IMMERSION
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do given that our students in grades N-5 alternate their days between their English and Target Language classrooms.
- Teacher teams composed of English and Spanish teachers or English and Chinese teachers share two classes of students
- Teacher teams share responsibility for teaching curriculum that promotes their students’ social, emotional and academic growth in both languages.
- Given this structure teacher teams communicate daily to plan lessons and discuss student progress
- Additionally teachers collaborate with fellow grade-level and language colleagues during weekly meetings.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Collaborate intensivelyand daily with colleagues to design learning outcomes, monitor growth, and thoughtfully address individual student needs.
- Design innovative curriculumthat engages all learners in meaningful and challenging work that cultivates real-world problem solving skills and develops social responsibility
- Deeply connect with students, colleagues and parents to vigorously uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect.
- Invoke a robust learning atmospherethat leads students to deeply value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community.
WHAT YOU BRING
- At least 5 years of teaching experience in grades 1-5 with a proven track record of student learning
- Strong understanding of and instructional skills teaching through a balanced literacy approach in the reading and writing workshop model
- Experience with problem-based mathematics instruction
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Deep dedication to learning and growing as an educator
- Eager to embrace change and consider new perspectives
- Graduate degree in education, teaching or a related field
- Candidates with diverse backgrounds encouraged to apply
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a very thoughtful cover letter with your application explaining how you meet the criteria.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.