New York, New York
Title: Avenues@HOME Teacher
Location: New York, New York
Start date: September 2021
ABOUT AVENUES: THE WORLD SCHOOL
Avenues is on a mission to change the world through education. Founded in 2010 with the vision of becoming one school with many campuses, Avenues now has physical campuses in New York, São Paulo, Shenzhen, and a virtual campus, Avenues Online. Together, these campuses form one transformative, interconnected learning community preparing students to become engaged global citizens and worldwise leaders.
Avenues@HOME is a bespoke new educational program offering world-class, in-person early childhood education. A family is paired with a dedicated Avenues teacher who provides in-home instruction for students from 2-years-old (Small World) through 3rd grade. Avenues@HOME uses the Avenues Online curriculum, designed from the ground up by Avenues to enable meaningful distance learning for children of all ages.
As an Avenues@HOME Teacher, you will exclusively teach the child(ren) from one or two families throughout the school year. You will build a strong, collaborative relationship with the child(ren) and their family, deeply understand their needs, and support their learning and growth using the Avenues Online curriculum. As a member of the global Avenues team, you will receive tailored professional development, ongoing coaching, full benefits and ample opportunities for developing your career within Avenues. This is not a residential position; you will teach daily in the family's home, but not live there.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Ensure students are engaged in rich, meaningful learning
- Understand Avenues Online curriculum in depth, to facilitate student learning with it
- Foster students' curiosity, agency, cognitive and social-emotional development
- Build a warm, supportive, respectful learning atmosphere in the family home
- Inspire trust and confidence with the family, anchored in a productive partnership
- Participate actively in intensive, ongoing professional learning
- Collaborate closely with other Avenues educators in support of student learning
WHAT YOU BRING
- Student teaching, counseling, tutoring or similar experience with children ages 2-8
- Very strong relationship building, communication and collaboration skills
- Deep dedication to learning and developing in the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace change, growth and learning
- Enthusiasm for working exclusively with a single family's child(ren) in their home
- Bachelor's degree; master's in education or related field strongly preferred
WHAT YOU RECEIVE
- Learning and growth in curriculum and pedagogy through pioneering a cutting-edge online education program for young children
- Regular coaching and top-notch professional learning
- Full benefits and competitive beginning-teacher compensation
- Ample opportunities for career growth within Avenues
- The thrill of a start-up and the opportunity to build things from scratch, all within an organization with global resources and supports, and a proven track record of results
Read this FAQfor additional detailed information about this position. Learn more about Avenues on our website (www.avenues.org) and apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/
. Include a cover letter in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.