New York, New York
Upper Division (New York)
Position: Design & Engineering Teacher, Upper Division (Grades 9-12)
Location: New York, NY
Start: August 2021
Why Teach at Avenues?
A top-tier school in New York City, offering a truly global education, that will expand to some of the world’s leading cities in coming years. Teaching and learning through challenging interdisciplinary projects. A culture of creativity, entrepreneurship and deep collaboration. State-of-the-art technology throughout. Brilliant colleagues, with widely diverse experience, creating a unique educational experience together. Unparalleled possibilities for professional learning and development prospects around the globe. There is no place quite like Avenues.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration here isn't a buzzword: it's woven into everything we do. No one teaches on an island here. Substantial time to collaborate is embedded into the schedule. Teacher teams, across multiple disciplines, design learning experiences together for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
We are seeking an innovative, creative and deeply curious Design & Engineering teacher in our Upper Division (Grades 9-12). Design & Engineering are intrinsic parts of our integrated curriculum. Design faculty work closely with colleagues from our science, World Course, and English discipline teams; our Design program features an innovative curriculum centered on purposeful student projects, in a world-class makerspace located in an interdisciplinary hub. Design at Avenues incorporates the full gamut of physical and digital techniques, and all manner of both traditional and cutting edge media, in a program that affords students a robust grounding in the creative process.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes by targeting instruction to address individual student needs
- collaboratively plan physical and digital design-based and interdisciplinary units and projects using backwards design frameworks, such as Understanding by Design
- co-construct with students a classroom environment that establishes high standards, fosters a sense of belonging, and upholds our founding values of welcome, safety, and respect
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence among guardians and families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network
What You’ll Bring
An Avenues Design & Engineering teacher brings experience in the following areas:
- Experience with Design Thinking and Rapid Prototyping, including all rapid fabrication methods ( 3D Printing, Laser Cutting, CNC, Soldering, etc)
- Extensive physical computing experience: open hardware controllers (Arduino, Raspberry Pi or similar), soft circuits, and open source hardware
- Fluency in programming languages used for microcontrollers and web applications (Python, P5.js, etc)
- Proficiency in 2D and 3D crafting techniques: woodworking, technical drawing, printmaking, mold making and casting, ceramics, welding
- 3D Modeling via TinkerCad, SketchUp, or similar
- Digital Design: photography, animation, web design and related applications
- Fluency in industry standard production tools and software suites (Adobe, Google, Apple, etc)
Additionally, Avenues Design & Engineering teachers embody and model:
- commitment to creating curricula and makerspace/classroom culture that center equity and inclusion
- a passion for learning new techniques and technologies, and integrating them into project work, teaching and learning practices and curricula, particularly cutting-edge design and rapid prototyping technologies and digital platforms
- a deep dedication to building a vibrant community of collaborative student innovators, and sparking continual inspiration by exhibiting student work and planning design-related events
- enthusiasm for and commitment to project-based learning environments, student-centered classrooms, and experiential learning
- deep intellectual curiosity and the humility to reflect on, and continually grow in, your teaching practice and learn from colleagues and students
- strong sense of responsibility for ensuring the success of students with varying levels of interest and ability
Apply through the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/. Make sure to include a cover letter indicating your specific interest in the opportunity. We also encourage you to share student work or any additional supplemental project materials along with your application.
Diversity, Inclusion and Safeguarding
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.