Secondary Division (Shenzhen)
Position: Design, Making and Art Teacher, Grades 6-9
Location: Shenzhen, China
Start Date: August 2023
WHY TEACH AT AVENUES?
Avenues | The World Schoolprepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, project-based, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
In 2018, we launched our Shenzhen campus, bringing our popular early childhood program from New York to China’s southern hub of innovation. Today, we are thrilled to have expanded our campus to serve students from two to 18 years of age.
The Middle and Upper Grades are where our ambitious goals for Avenues graduates, defined in our mission statement, are most comprehensively realized. While in grades 6-12, we prepare students for a globally connected, innovation-driven, and largely unknown future. Our students will be: accomplished in all the academic skills you would expect, at ease beyond their borders, and confident because they excel in a particular passion.
Avenues: The World School is committed to the study of art, design and culture as part of every student’s education. Instruction in the visual arts and design and performing arts teaches vital skills that help students express their ideas about themselves and the world around them. At Avenues, talented and experienced teaching artists provide an exciting, comprehensive program of study in the following disciplines: visual arts, design and engineering, instrumental music, vocal music and theatre.
We consider every student to be an artist or designer capable of making creative connections between a wide variety of art forms and their academic disciplines. Divergent thinking, perseverance and problem solving are woven into the arts curriculum to support students as they stretch themselves, expanding their understanding of who they are and what is possible. You will work with teachers across disciplines from science and mathematics to humanities and languages to develop project-based experiences for students that allow them to think and behave like artists, no matter their field.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
You will begin the Avenues Shenzhen design, making and art program, which will inspire our students to grow deeply as artists and designers.This position is intended to develop student’s abilities in Design & Art, including the design thinking process of creation and prototyping a service or a product, design and making, and understanding the tools of a modern fab lab. We are seeking teachers with a strong background in design thinking and technical knowledge in a design or engineering field with a wide range of media and techniques in which they can engage students and foster learning across. You will also:
- Ensure that students grow dramatically in passion, understanding and skill in their artistry
- Grow the art and design program over time, working closely with division leaders and other Avenues arts teachers
- Collaborate intensively and daily with colleagues to design learning outcomes, monitor growth, and thoughtfully address individual student needs
- Deeply connect with students, colleagues and parents to uphold a culture of welcome, safety and respect
- Invoke a robust learning atmosphere that leads students to value being at school and feel part of a rigorous and joyful learning community
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
- Find ways to to improve your practice every day by collaborating with your colleagues
WHAT YOU BRING
- Deep knowledge of, and an infectious passion for, a range of design, art and engineering content
- Experience teaching design and art to students in middle grades
- A remarkable entrepreneurial drive, creativity and ability to bring new ideas to fruition
- Passion for working with young people as they learn, struggle, and grow
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing children's wellbeing
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together
- Dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree in education or related field is ideal
- Professional fluency in English; Mandarin Chinese is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
Apply through the Careers section at https://www.avenues.org/en/careers. Be sure to include a letter of application, in English, in which you thoughtfully explain why you believe that this role at Avenues Shenzhen would be an excellent match for your experience, skills and passions. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.